Home Search Login  
Print Bookmark


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show

History of Raymond Court House

The Hinds County Courthouse in Raymond, Mississippi

The historical and beautiful 150 year old Raymond courthouse listed in the National Archives as one of the most perfect examples of Greek Revival architecture in the United States was designed and constructed by George Weldon of Natchez and Rodney, Mississippi and built with slave labor out of brick burned from clay near the site and limestone obtained locally. After the Battle of Raymond, May 12, 183, 1 1/4 miles south of town, the courthouse and the present Episcopal church next door, built in 1852, served as hospitals for the wounded, in the ;early years of its existence the court room rang with voices of many notables, some of whom were Sergeant S Prentiss, George Poindexter and Governor H S Foot, who lived in Raymond in the early 1830’s and Alex McClung, the famous duelist and others.

The original specifications for the construction of this building are still in existence and provide for, among other things; “the outside walls of the foundations are to be built of good sound limestone laid up in good lines and sand mortar in the very best manner and are to be 2 1/2 feet thick. The brick work is to be laid up with good hard and well-burned brick laid in good lines and sand mortar composed of the best quality of fresh burned lime and coarse sharp-gritted sand, properly mixed and manipulated, and mixed up at least one week before using. The outside walls are to be 18 inches thick. The order of architecture of the columns and entablatures is taken from the Tower of the Winds and the details of the order is to be carried out in all its various parts. All the glazing is to be done with the best quality of American and French glass, well bedded and back puttied and left clean and perfect on the completion of this work. There is to be two bands of iron placed in the wall to extend entirely around the building, one over the first story windows and the other over the second story windows. The second story floor is to be deadened by having 2 inch wide strips nailed on the sided of the joists 4 inches down form the top, on which is to be laid a false floor of narrow boards close together, and the spaces between the joists to be filled up level to the top of the joists with mortar sufficiently strong to forma cement.” This sound and heat insulation would have been also effective in of fire on the second story to aid the bucket brigade in putting out a fire.

Throughout the entire specification of the building the words “of the best quality, materials and workmanship” is persistent and the excellent conditions of the building today verifies that from the application of the wisdom and foresight of the planners and builders, they erected a monument to their memory and a masterpiece of architecture to be enjoyed by generation yet to be born, for time has added only beauty and dignity to this building and legions of travelers through the town stop to admire and then capture on film the majestic grandeur of the Raymond Courthouse.

Owner/SourceDavid Tharp
PlaceRaymond, HInds, MIssissippi
Linked toMississippi, Hinds County Courthouse, Raymond, Hinds, Mississippi; Raymond, Hinds, Mississippi

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.