Home Search Login  
Print Bookmark


Histories

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show

NORVELL

Captain Hugh Norvell

Hugh Norvell From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hugh Norvell (1669-1719), called "Captain Hugh Norvell" because of his service in the Colonial War, served as a vestryman at Bruton Church in 1694, 1697, 1704, and 1710-1715. Norvell was on the Vestry of Bruton Parish Church from 1694 to 1710. While serving in that capacity, one of the special committees on which he served was designated by the Vestry to welcome the Rev. Dr. James Blair, President of the College of William and Mary. On December 5, 1710, the Vestry voted to ask him to become their Rector. Hugh Norvell was chairman of this committee. The Rev. Dr. Blair accepted the Vestry's invitation. Norvell was also a member of the committee appointed by the Vestry to oversee the building of the new church. The General Assembly of Virginia on June 7 1699, passed an Act Directing the Building of the Capitol and the City of Williamsburg. One of the clauses of this Act appointed Lewis Burwell, Phil Ludwell, Junr. , Benjamin Harrison, Junr., James Waley, Hugh Norwell [Novell], and Mongo Ingles, Gentleman—Feofees or Trustees for land appropriated to the uses of the City. These gentlemen sold the half-acre lots into which the city had been laid out. Hugh Norwell [Norvell] was still a Feofee or Trustee in 1705 when the Act Directing the Building of the Capitol and the City of Williamsburg with additions was passed. In 1703 he served on the Grand Jury of the Virginia Admiralty Court and later became a county officer. His plantation lay across the York County boundary near Williamsburg and was cited in a patent from the Virginia Land Office, June 16, 1714, as adjoining the lands of Nicholas Valentine. In 1694, he appeared as the guardian (procaine)ami) of his daughter Elizabeth in a law suit against Mr. Robert Harrison and Mrs. Elizabeth Archer over the payment due Elizabeth. He owned 328 acres of land in nearby James City County and is listed on the quit rent roll of 1704. In 1710, he is mentioned as a juror in some trial involving 8 Tuscarora Indians and served in the Virginia House of Burgesses about 1719. Pew No. 7 in Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg has a plaque honoring Hugh Norvell, Vestryman, 1710-1715, George Norvell, vestryman, and William Norvell, vestryman, 1775. Further, there is a marker which names Hugh Norvell as one of the members of the vestry who erected the church building from 1710-1715. Captain Hugh Norvell appears to descend from Thomas Norvell(born 1591-died ca. 1635) who came to Virginia on the ship Margaret and John on January 24, 1624 with "6 bushels of corne, 3 pounds of powder, 1 peece [sic], 1 armour, and 1 sword." He died in Warwick County before August 17, 1635 where he was an original proprietor. He is thought to have married Mary Frye, either the sister or daughter of William Frye of James City County; Thomas and Mary lived on Skiff's Creek in 1630. Some of Captain Hugh Norvell's descendants include U.S. Senator John Norvell of Michigan, William Walker (soldier) and the Filibusterer in Nicaragua, and Oliver Hardy, the actor-comedian and movie star, son of Mary Norvell Hardy. The Norvells were of Scots origin. Norvell is a shortened form of the name de Normanville. It dates back to 1190 when John de Normanville witnessed a grant of land by Bernard de Hauden. The family coat of arms as described in Burke's General Armory depicts three black martlets (swallows or swifts) on a silver diagonal band across a black shield. In the 17th Century there existed many spellings of the name: NORWELL, NOVELL, NOEL, NORRELL, NORVILL, NEVILL, and NORVELLE; but by the 18th Century they had generally become NORVELL. The earliest Norvell in the New World appears to be William Norvell whom in 1619 had a plantation on land that became Isle of Wight County, Virginia. There was a plantation called "Oyster Banks," owned by William Norvell near the boundary of Isle of Wight and Nansemond Counties in 1656, when the boundary line between the counties was run. Other early arrivals included: Richard Norvell, 1638; William Norvell, 1639; Peeter Norrell, 1647; Walter Norrell, 1650; Mary Norvell, 1653; in Warwick County; and Thomas Nowell in 1654 in Charles City.

Linked toNORVELL Hugh, Sr, Captain

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show






This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.