Home Search Login  
Print Bookmark


Histories

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show

Flatwood Assembly of God Church Ben Wheeler, Van Zandt, Texas A Short History

By Sister Marion Kirkpatrick
With additions by David Tharp

Flatwood Church was organized with a group that had its beginning in cottage prayer meetings conducted in 1916 by Mrs Cora Lee Derrick. Their first revival was in a Sweet Gum Thicket near a cotton gin four miles of Ben Wheeler. The evangelist was Reverend Rand Lewis. Later, another revival was conducted by Reverend Simeon Stanley Allen Tharp, who moved to this community and became the first official pastor.

This congregation worshiped in a brush arbor and tent until a church was built on the corner of the old Dodson place. In 1925 the church relocated to the present site of about two acres of land given by Mr and Mrs J L Slaton, to build a church. The site includes Flatwood Cemetery which is under the care of the church.

The church was officially set in order with the Assemblies of God on April 16, 1927. Another building was built and is still part of the present facilities. Dedication of a new sanctuary took place in May of 1977 and a new parsonage in 1980.

May 2007 was the 80th Anniversary of the church. The service was attended by three of Reverend Simeon Stanley Allen Tharp's grandchildren, David Lynn Tharp, Gloria Elaine Tharp Herriage and Karen Gail Tharp McKnight, and one of his daughter-in-laws, Netty Doris Petty Tharp.

Linked toFlatwood Church Cemetery, Ben Wheeler, Van Zandt, Texas; Ben Wheeler, Van Zandt, Texas; THARP Simeon Stanley Allen

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show






This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.